On Tuesday night, The Boston Children’s Hospital received a bomb threat following several instances of reported harassment and threats against doctors.
Both the police and the hospital itself confirmed that the call was received around 8pm on Tuesday. The Boston Police Department confirmed to ABC News that they dispatched a bomb squad to the scene, but no bomb was found.
“We remain vigilant in our efforts to battle the spread of false information about the hospital and our caregiver,” the hospital said in a statement to ABC News. “We are committed to ensuring the hospital is a safe and secure place for all who work here and come here. We will provide additional information as we are able.”
Officials confirmed that the investigation remains open and they are unsure if it is related to the recent reports of harassment.
“We moved swiftly to protect our patients and employees, and we are working with law enforcement and outside experts as they closely investigate this situation,” the hospital confirmed.
The hospital has been under fire recently over allegations that the hospital has been performing gender-affirming hysterectomies on minors.
The hospital denied such claims, previously saying in a statement: “For a hysterectomy performed as a part of gender-affirming care, Boston Children’s requires a patient to be capable of consenting for themselves. Age 18 is used to reflect the standard age of majority for medical decision-making. Boston Children’s does not — and will not — perform a hysterectomy as part of gender-affirming care on a patient under the age of 18.”
The hospital said they started to receive harassment after posting an information video about the gender-affirming care they provide for patients. The video has since been taken down.
While the hospital prides itself in being “the first pediatric and adolescent transgender health program in the United States,” they emphasize on their website that “all genital surgeries are only performed on patients age 18 and older.”
"*" indicates required fields